A journal of my favourite pastimes gardening, farming and sewing.

Friday, 19 July 2013

A SOUVENIR (SORT OF)...

For a long while I have been coveting a glass butter dish.  I like making my own butter, however storage and presentation can be a bit of a dilemma.  Rather than putting your lovely fresh butter in a plastic container, why not keep it in a more attractive (and greener) holder, right?


I had been watching various items on Ebay and ducking into second-hand shops wherever I went, but was drawing a blank on finding the one I wanted at a price I could live with.



So, when we visited the Penguin Markets last weekend, you could possibly imagine how excited I was to see this:

Depression Glass
Apparently these mass produced, mould glass products available in US 'dime stores' from the late 20's through the 40's.  Although the quality was usually poor, often with bubbles and flaws throughout, the colours of production gave it wide appeal.  The green, cobalt blue and pink colours are now most popular with collectors.

But then there was also this:





The provenance of this dish is probably also quite undistinguished but I just liked the relief work on the lid showing a cow complete with bell standing in a field of grass.

Anyway, I got both of these for less than I could have bought just the green one on Ebay or similar and no postage.  So I was a happy shopper. 


4 comments:

  1. Wow, those dishes look great Barb! I couldn't get the Penguin Markets link to work though. What search word do you put into ebay when you are looking for these kinds of dishes? We have our 'soft' butter in a plastic container so I will have to have a look for a glass one. I hadn't realised you were back home. I hope you enjoyed the trip. Don't worry the cold weather is on its way apparently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nanna, Thanks for the heads up on the link - fixed now I think (not much of a tech head). On Ebay I just put butter dish and the Ebay suggestions come up with what is available. Yes we had a good time, beat the cold weather (there) by a whisker but looks like we'll get our own. Well it is winter.
      Barb

      Delete
  2. I would have loved a blue one. Good Shopping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynda

      I haven't seen a blue one as yet, but yes, that would appeal to me too.
      Barb

      Delete