A journal of my favourite pastimes gardening, farming and sewing.

Tuesday, 9 July 2013

Tasmania Days 1 & 2

Our first couple of days in Tassie have been, let me say,  quite cool & frosty in the night, but gloriously (relatively) warm in the day. Not sure that the sunny days are going to continue but we are enjoying them while we can.  We're staying in Ulverstone on the coast which is very nice.  Just hearing on the news that some parts of central highland Tasmania had -12 degrees (aak!).  

We have been looking at properties up here in the Central Coast area - for running sheep and/or cattle and continuing our food growing.  The places we've seen vary in size from 30 acres up to 100+ acres.  Most of it quite up hill and down dale but some spots have been beautiful.

Wouldn't you like to have this view from your kitchen window?
The main reason we came at this time of the year (a bit of raised eyebrows among family and friends) was to see if we could cope with the winters down here.  So far so good...

Here are a couple of pics of the snowcaps we have seen (Black Buff we've been told) and can I just say, the air coming off those peaks is very chilly.  



Mount Roland, south of Sheffield.  

The soil around here is very fertile, we've seen carrots, brussel sprouts, leeks, and cabbages growing.  I know I've bought carrots at home that were grown at Forth, just south of us here in Ulverstone.  So, that augurs well for the food growing part of things.  Fortunately there are online seed companies here, because many of the mainland companies cannot send to Tasmania due to quarantine restrictions I believe.  We've seen plenty of sheep which we are quite familiar with, and also cattle, which we'd like to concentrate on smaller breeds such as Square Meaters, or Dexters perhaps.  

Anyway, that's the rural round up for today.  Back soon....



7 comments:

  1. What a grand adventure. Looking forward to the journey. Im going to google maps to see where you are. Hubby is working south of Hobart next week and im buying him thermals. Sadly, im not allowed to go as 12 Electricians are going. He/We not really looking forward to it as they are 12 hr days and then off time spent with alot of blokey blokes. My Hubby is funny and clever but not blokey. Technically he could discuss any topic with them but the delivery would not include 4 letter words, nor be fueled by alcohol or have any sexual references. Hubby would be more comfortable with the wives. Im glad (Most of the Time). Moving to Tasmania must be the thing to do. I watched Gourmet Farmer recently. Love the small cattle. Dont forget to plan a cottage for farmstays. That's where the money is. ($150- $250) a night for a basket of breaky things, laundry and a tidy up. Book me in. Actually all i really need is power and access to bathroom - i have camper trailer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK back again, what a great location. You are not far from Narf7 at Sidmouth. Gosh its beautiful in that region. I spent one weekend off the boat, touring around Launceston and across the Nth West maybe 20 years ago. My only trip to Tas. So Pretty.

      Delete
    2. Poor him,not his cup of tea at all by the sounds of things. My hubby would be the same I think. Yes farmstays and B+Bs are very popular here. Can't be that hard can it? We come down every 2 years as hubby's son and granddaughter live in Hobart so we have a good excuse.

      Delete
  2. Barb, I was thinking of you when I heard on the news last night that it was going to be -12C in some parts of Tasmania. Brrr! Too cold for me! The scenery does look lovely though. I hope you find somewhere you would like to settle in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, apparently it has been the coldest winter on record. There are a lot of woodfires here! It is lovely scenery in parts. Particularly where we have been today inland from Burnie. And green lush countryside; our sheep would be in heaven.

      Delete
  3. Very beautiful part of the world Barb by the look of it. I think you are so sensible to travel to Tassie in the winter as I remember being in Hobart one Christmas when you would think the weather would be sublime, I was frozen. But Tasmania is such a beautiful place. I have visited quite a few times and every time I have been impressed with the quality of the produce grown there. Wonderful cherries around Christmas time. Worth going just for that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Barb. I meant it is sensible of you by going to Tassie in the winter to test it at the coldest time.

    ReplyDelete