A journal of my favourite pastimes gardening, farming and sewing.

Wednesday, 30 October 2013

BOONAH OPEN GARDEN DAY (Warning picture heavy)

I lucked a seat on a bus doing the circuit of the Boonah Open Garden Day run by the Garden Club of Boonah.  The other guests were ladies from the retirement village where my husband worked until recently.  He was asked to volunteer as bus driver for the day.

It was a typical hot, humid Queensland day as we visited five private gardens, not normally open to the public.  A great opportunity to see how others do things.

My travelling companions:


We saw countless gorgeous and interesting displays.  Given the current dry conditions, it was obvious that the gardeners involved loved and put a lot of effort into their gardens.

I was told this was Bishops Lace

Gorgeous lemon frangipani


Day lillies

At every stop we were 'enabled' by the many stall holders and of course we all succumbed.  There was a vast array of all things gardening for sale.




Crown of Thorns plant


The 'No Idea' plant


The 'I always forget what its called' plant

Bed of petunias

More petunias





We saw countless roses
This was the inaugural Boonah Open Garden day and judging by the bus loads of people, I would say it will happen again.  There were other garden clubs from The Gap, Underwood, Albany Creek, and many others. So a merry time was had by all and I congratulate the Garden Club of Boonah for their incredibly hard work and organisation.  Well done!  Now I'd better go plant my plants.



2 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures Barb. I love hanging with "the older ladies" as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barb, was the yellow flower a Dahlia and the one underneath it some type of Day Lily? I asked the master gardener but he wasn't sure. It sounds like you had a lovely day even though it was so hot and humid. It has cooled down here after the rain thankfully.

    ReplyDelete