A journal of my favourite pastimes gardening, farming and sewing.

Saturday, 16 November 2013

CHEESEMAKING WORKSHOP

Today I attended a great workshop on making cheese, yoghurt, kefir, butter and ghee.  The workshop was hosted by Elisabeth Fekonia from Permaculture Produce, based on the northern end of the Sunshine Coast.

I was put onto this by Margy at Simple Living Toowoomba and I was keen to learn a new skill for future food making. 

The full day course covered making a brie, a cheddar, quark, cultured butter, yoghurt, kefir and ghee.  We ate a great lunch consisting of a salad topped with homemade feta, sourdough bread, brie cheese, butter kase, cheddar cheese, kimchi, sauerkraut, and a honey mead. It was quite interesting to feel quite light and unbloated after all that food, but it felt great.

I wish I had photos but I forgot to take my camera with me so I am including some stock photos.



Brie

Cheddar


Kimchi

This was a day well spent, even if we don't eat all types of fermented foods - there are plenty for me to experiment with.

2 comments:

  1. I am glad you had a good time at the workshop Barb. It looked so very interesting but seeing as I am retiring from paid work soon I didn't want to fork out the money for the workshop. I did buy some culture for making cheese a while back when we had workshop at our Simple Living Toowoomba group but I haven't made any as yet. I think we had a demonstration on how to make cottage and ricotta cheese and another one too but can't remember which one. It won't be such a long drive to the Garden City once you move eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Chel, it will be a much quicker trip then. It is a lovely drive though I have to say. I met some very nice Toowoomba-ites there too.

      Delete