A journal of my favourite pastimes gardening, farming and sewing.

Friday, 8 November 2013

SHORN THE SHEEP

Its that time of year again when the sheep are being shorn in readiness for summer - a bit out of whack this year though.  Our shearer John is from the Brisbane Valley region and makes the 90 minute journey down to us at Boonah once a year.  He is one of those gentle talking, calm people who are so good with stock.


He is very knowledgeable about sheep and I have learned a lot from talking with him while he works.  After they are shorn, I drench them and then they are back into the paddock to give each other the once over like they are strangers.


This is an old photo, I don't know anyone who has any green left in their paddocks/yards.  Our cactus is telling us its going to rain so I hope it is right.



It certainly was the wrong day for an outside job, when I came back in at 3pm, it was 37 degrees outside.  So I'm waiting until it cools off a little before I go back out to feed the animals and put the shorn wool away.  If anyone wants some black fleece, let me know.  We don't seem to be able to sell it to the wool mill.

2 comments:

  1. Wow it was hot there today, Barb. It was 30 degrees here and that was too hot for me and it is going to be 32 tomorrow. Our simple living group's morning tea is on in the morning so I hope the hall won't be too hot. I wonder if someone on the Down to Earth forum would be interested in the black fleece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea. Will put it on tomorrow. I'm thinking of going to the cheese making day later in the month - is that something you're interested in?

      Delete