This weekend has been flat out. As we are preparing our Boonah house for sale, painting is the order of the day. The front bedroom now has its first coat on, with the second coat to be done next weekend. One might ask, what only one coat and it took all weekend? Yes, the joys of tongue and groove - paint in the groove and then each board by brush first time round, gap fill, then paint second coat by roller. But a major improvement I must say.
In between painting, sanding etc, I still did the week's washing (the farm's included) and baked on Saturday. After reading on various blogs about the sense of doing all oven-related tasks at one time to save electricity, I gave it a go.
First, duelling breadmakers.
|Older machine on the right (really?)|
|The blue pads are to stop 'wandering'|
Gave us these:
|Product of old machine on the left|
This was a good experiment; I have long suspected that my newer breadmaker doesn't rise the dough as well as my old one did. Both are 1kg loaves but the loaf on the left in the pic above is from the old machine, suspicion confirmed. In the past I have just used the whole breadmaking cycle, mixing and baking in the breadmaker, but lately I have started using only the dough mixing cycle and then baking in the oven. Vastly superior result in our books.
Also knocked out a date loaf (recipe from Day to Day Cookery).
And after the baking was over, I put in a pork shoulder for our dinner that night. Peter has always maintained that any meat's shoulder cut had way more flavour than the leg; and after eating this pork roast, I now concur. No pics, all gone.....
And just before sunrise on this first slightly shorter day of winter: