A journal of my favourite pastimes gardening, farming and sewing.

Tuesday, 5 May 2015

GARDEN UPDATE

After all the rain, at last some sun and warmth to dry things out.  I have done a few jobs in the veggie garden over the past week.

I planted up my garlic and brassica bed.  Cabbages, broccoli (only one germinated for me), tatsoi, and land cress which is there to hopefully protect the cabbages and broccoli from the dreaded white butterfly.  I put bricks around the bed to keep the soil in.

 





Garlic at front, brassicas behind
Some of the little plants getting going.  The land cress needs to hurry up as I saw a white cabbage butterfly lurking around this morning.

Cabbage

Tatsoi

Land Cress

This is the other, more advanced bed.  I've harvested some kale and rainbow chard so far.  Need to get onto those lettuces though.  The white cut off milk bottles are covering metal stakes which hold the hoops for shade cloth/frost cloth.  I put them there so I don't stab myself.

Chard front, kale left, lettuces behind

Chard and kale harvested
The greens above went into one of these.

I also am starting a no-dig garden bed.  I have read so much about how great this method of gardening is, so I'm going to have a try.

This will be the site, cardboard lying ready to be put down.  The grass growing their previously was solarised by plastic and carpet.  Lovely hay bales at the back ready to put on.


And lastly, Peter and Dad made a start with the greenhouse; the steel posts will provide support for the sides and roof and the footings are getting along too.  I'm really looking forward to having this up and running.  I think the size is something like 3m x 6m so should have plenty of room.

Boxing up for more footings

We had to have repairs done to our windmill last month.  I don't think it had been serviced for a long time and several parts needed replacing.  Anyway its back running again and even though we had quite a bit of rain, its reassuring to know we have another water source should we need it.

I'll leave you with yesterday's sunset.  There have been some very pretty ones recently.

 





















1 comment:

  1. A greenhouse, how lucky are you? I would love one of those! Your veggie garden is looking great Barb.

    Another gorgeous sunset, I love the autumn hues.

    xTania

    ReplyDelete