A journal of my favourite pastimes gardening, farming and sewing.

Tuesday, 19 May 2015

Quick hello

I'm a member of a terrific garden/swap Facebook group Clifton and Surrounds - Produce Swap based near me on the Darling Downs.  Members all produce something useful, vegetables, fruit, other plants, manure, chooks etc.  Every couple of months we get together and have a swap meet/gabfest in one of the local cafes or at someone's home.   


The main reason I joined this group was to get a handle on what I would be dealing with climate-wise when gardening in this area.  Coming from Boonah where the climate was more sub-tropical, things are decidedly different here.  Here, we still get about the same amount of this stuff>


But in general there is less humidity, and it is cooler as a result. Certainly there is a higher risk of frosts which can impact our veggie production but that can be managed. I'm looking forward to being able to grow stone-fruit and apples more successfully.  I have some bare rooted trees on order for July delivery so we are in the planning stages of where they are to go.

 I have to say, the group has given much, both in physical goods, but probably more importantly in terms of friendship, knowledge and spirit.  As everyone knows, it is always a challenge moving to and getting established in a new area and this group has been the door-opener to so many people and resources that would have taken me years to find otherwise.  I have now found a supplier for chicken feed, lucerne for the sheep, a massage therapist, mulch hay for the garden, punnets of herbs and veggies for when I screw things up and new chooks when I need them.

So there is Facebook for good not evil too!  If anyone in the region is interested in joining the group let me know.


4 comments:

  1. Barb, country people are usually very friendly especially the closer you get to Warwick. LOL! I can remember our water pipes freezing from the heavy frosts there but the days are usually warmer than here. Glad you found a good group and have made friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chel, Hopefully we won't be the victim of those bad frosts. Being much higher than Warwick - it seems to be in a basin - should help us but vigilance is still the key. Of course this is the second great group I have found up here, TSL being the first.

      Delete
  2. You know ive lived in the city for 29 years and i can count my friends on one hand. You have got to love that good ole country community spirit. Im still considered an oddity here. You can take the girl out of the country but not the country out of the girl. So please you have found your niche. They are lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very kind Lynda. I'm enjoying it all very much, not being a country girl and all.

      Delete