Monday, 24 August 2015

Back out into Garden

Well the fruit trees have been planted for a month now and are showing signs of budding etc.  The stone fruit seem to be the fore runners with the berries next and the apples bringing up the rear.  Makes sense given fruiting times.  In anticipation of a predicted rain event (hah!) I have lightly fertilised them all and watered that in.  Don't trust the weather.

The varieties we planted include:
Photos courtesy of Daleys Fruit Tree Nursery


 We also bought two more varieties of raspberry, a youngberry and two double grafted apples.  

Now I am investigating fig tree varieties - its hard to decide, so many varieties have been recommended to me.  And citrus varieties - I'm thinking a couple of lemons, oranges, mandarin, lemonade, lime (climate permitting).

If all this comes off, I'll be one busy person over the next few months.  
























7 comments:

  1. Onwards and forwards.... Im expecting so many preserving posts in the future. What fun you are having.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it will be fun - I hope I get it all happening!

      Delete
  2. Barb, you are going to grow apples? DH gave up years ago because of the fruit fly. He doesn't like spraying though so it was a waste of time buying the trees in the first place. He also has peaches, apricots and guavas growing but we never get any fruit. I do hope that yours are more productive. Regarding the rain event, I think the forecasters tell porkys ;-) Not a drop here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I hear the fruit fly is a major challenge even up here. It will be labour intensive I'm sure, we shall see if the results warrant it. A bit of a rumble and flashes in the distance tonight so maybe a couple of spits coming our way.

      Delete
  3. So exciting! :-) We too have been planting fruit trees and it's so lovely to get them in and watered one by one. :-) Hoping very much for rain, but haven't had a drop yet. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Krista, Thanks for visiting my little corner. Will be good to compare notes as the trees go along.

      Delete
  4. Oh Barb, that sounds great!!! We've planted a few fruit trees when we moved in - mainly citrus, apple and nectarine. So far nectarines are the only fruit we've received. Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete