Monday, 2 November 2015

Family Weekend

Afternoon all, I'm in recovery mode here today.  We had a family get together here over the weekend to celebrate a joint birthday.  It gave us the opportunity to christen our new entertainment area and I have to say we were all pretty happy with it.  My hubby and Dad worked very hard outside to put up a tarp over the area so we wouldn't get sunned or rained on.  Shade cloth was put up around the lattice to help buffer the ever present wind.

We got our outdoor setting out of the shed and put back together - it was like welcoming home an old friend.  It is an 8 seater so just enough space for us all.  Then the boys put up a nice big fluoro and fairy lights as well as fitted out our BBQ with a rotisserie for the dinner to be cooked.

Here is the set up from ground level.  That box in the background near the lattice is our smoker/pizza oven.  Check out the enormous bug zapper on the plant stand to the right.  



The next pic shows the setup from on the verandah.  That's the tarp above and the 'cosy corner' with the shade clothed lattice.  It is amazing how much of the wind is cut out using this combination.



Later on, as the weather warms up further we will move the table back to the left and our pool.  Most years we buy one of these pools which lasts us the summer before it get used as a rainproof cover for something.   They come complete with pump and filters etc.  They are perfect for sitting in with a cool drink on a hot afternoon and our granddaughter loves it when she visits us.    
 10ft Fast Set Pool Set

Hubby's kids (30 and 25)  spent a good deal of time on Saturday night planning their Christmas cooking extravaganza.  They seem to love coming out here and getting creative in the kitchen; most of the time I evacuate and do something to entertain myself and then roll up when its time to eat.  Things always taste better when you haven't had to cook them yourself I reckon.

We had roast chooks and a shoulder of pork done on the rotisserie which was fantastic; and potato bake, pasta bake, roasted mixed vegies including some of my own carrots (hurrah success!).  For dessert we had Outback Tania's Apple Roly Poly and cheesecake followed by a white chocolate mud birthday cake.

A couple of my carrots that appear to be 'in lurve'.


So, I'm slogging my way through Mt Washmore and otherwise taking it slow today.  Hope everyone else is having an easy day too.

Cheers, Barb.






11 comments:

  1. Looks very cosy and functional. Glad you got to Christen it and have fun. That's the reward for all the hard work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barb, I grow carrots like that too. LOL! You have done a good job with your Bar-B-Que area. It looks great. I am in the middle of packing for going to the beach tomorrow and am already tired. Hopefully I won't fall asleep driving there but I hope to leave at 7am so I should be all bright eyed and bushy tailed. The holiday real estate people are closing at midday until 3.30pm tomorrow because of the Melbourne Cup so I want to get to Caloundra well before then as we can get into our unit straight away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a great stay at Caloundra Chel, see you in s couple of weeks.

      Delete
  3. Carrots make me laugh when they get up to shenanigans like that. :-) How nice to make such a great place for sitting. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Krista, yes the carrots are funny. This is the first time I have remotely normal looking carrots though, so I'm chuffed. It was my last go at it, if these didn't work out I was buying carrots for evermore. The paved area has made a real difference when entertaining.

      Delete
  4. Wow - what a transformation. This is a top-class entertainment area now. Good onya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, the warmer weather has us out there most days now.

      Delete
  5. Barb,
    You guys did a great job. It looks like the best spot to be with all the hot weather we are having. I'm like you too, I like having my food cooked for me, downside is I am the one who has to wash up. I read some where that if you grow carrots in some sand they will grow smooth and straight. They get twisted trying to grow around stuff in the dirt.
    -Shiralee.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Beautiful entertainment area and I'm sure your family will have many happy get togethers there

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Beautiful entertainment area and I'm sure your family will have many happy get togethers there

    ReplyDelete