Wednesday, 20 January 2016

Food Gardens January 2016 Pt 1

With the hot days we are experiencing at the moment, I am out watering most mornings.  Today I did the fruit trees.  I took some snaps of things as I went along.

I have planted vegies such as pumpkins among the fruit trees so they may ramble around without taking up space in the vegie patch itself.  These are butternut pumpkins slowly coming along.  



and Golden Nugget pumpkins which are a new one for me. They are such cuteness but I doubt how much flesh will be inside them.


I have also planted Jap pumpkins but they have only just started to flower.  And what is with that - all male flowers? I have noticed this on all my curcurbits that the male and female flowers are rarely coming on at the same time this year.  Makes for a small harvest I think  however I am hand pollinating wherever I can.

Of course the volunteer plants are always the most vigorous aren't they?  This one is growing just outside the entertainment area.  Hopefully we'll have some pumpkins from it as with any luck it should be a Jap.  My geraniums are putting on a good show.  These were all from Boonah cuttings and bits I've knocked off elsewhere (ahem).  The stand is made from an old pine bed from the School Peter works at.  His team know that we'll take most things being tossed out so he often comes to his ute at going home time to find all sorts of odds and ends on there.


This little sugarbaby watermelon is the only one for now. We have a native bee hive but it is at the front of the house so we'd like to split it and bring one half down the back to help with pollination.  That awful foxtail grass at the front is everywhere at this time of year.


The fruit trees have been in the ground for just on six months and I am very happy with their growth.  Their test will come after their first winter and hopefully a bountiful spring and summer to follow.  This is my view to the west framed by one of the plum trees.



The berry plants are doing fairly well.  We have one raspberry that we brought along from Boonah and that one is growing rapidly and has fruit coming on.


The other berries we bought from Daleys Fruit Tree Nursery last winter and the growth is good but of course no fruit in their first season.  I have tried to select varieties with different fruiting times so we have a longer berry season.  

I was gifted some strawberry plants a couple of months ago but I'm not quite sure yet where to plant them.  If I put them in down in the fruit tree area I'm sure the birds will get them so I'm thinking of planting them nearer the house in a fantastic old concrete 3 bay laundry trough we were given.  It is situated outside the soon to be completed greenhouse so I can keep an eye on them.  In the meantime, they are happily biding their time in pots.


That's it for today.  I will show you the vegie garden next time.  Please excuse the lame blog title, I'm messing about with the design and I'm not happy with anything so far.

Cheers,
Barb












8 comments:

  1. Oh for the space to let things ramble. My yard is so small i have to keep everything contained and in the right place. I would love to grow the sugar baby watermelon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking of you as I typed that post Lynda, I hadn't seen much of your garden recently. The heat does knock things around doesn't it?

      Delete
  2. Everything is looking fantastic!! Alas, I wasn't able to save my butternuts this year. The heat killed them and my cucumbers while I was away. But there's always next year. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Krista so far so good. I've not grown either butternut or golden nuggets before so it will be interesting to see how they mature. If they're half decent I'll bring you one. Being a gardener can be a tough challenge some years.

      Delete
  3. Barb,I am also fiddling with my blog template etc. We have what I think is a butternut coming up in the compost but my hubby doesn't like the space the pumpkins take up so it might disappear one day. He was given about five watermelons the other day and I saw some being put in the lounge room...of all places...as it was cooler there than the rest of the house. Knowing him he will forget they are there so I must remember to check on them before I find a mess on the carpet :-)I have several different pelargoniums if you want any.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes please Chel, I'd love some pelargoniums. I don't know why I love them so much, probably because they are tough and forgiving.

      Delete
  4. Barb you garden is looking great I wish I had all that going on. I think the male flowers have something to do with the weather eg if it is really hot the plant only sets male flowers. If you can try shading one of the vines so you can see if it makes a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barb you garden is looking great I wish I had all that going on. I think the male flowers have something to do with the weather eg if it is really hot the plant only sets male flowers. If you can try shading one of the vines so you can see if it makes a difference.

    ReplyDelete