A journal of my favourite pastimes gardening, farming and sewing.

Monday, 30 January 2017

GARLIC 2016

As usual, I'm about two months behind other gardeners who probably harvested their garlic back in December.

I finally dug mine up a couple of weeks ago and this evening I cleaned it up ready for sharing and using.  I'm sure I didn't dig up all the bulbs, so at least I'll have a head start on planting time.

It was very relaxing just sitting their with the garlic skins all around me.  That is my little hand embroidered garlic bag that I hang on the side of the fridge for easy access.


I want to mince some in oil for keeping in the fridge as well as infusing oil in bottles for gifts.  Perhaps I'll also try drying some to make garlic flakes and salt.

We had our first full weekend on leave from the hospital this weekend, with family joining us for lunch at a local pub.  Peter did very well but was very tired and in some pain by the end of the four days.

This week we have a meeting with the health care team at the rehab unit which hopefully will give us an indication of discharge date and the potential return to work outlook.  It has been a long road and no doubt further to travel yet, but things are moving in the right direction.  I want to thank everyone for their well wishes and prayers, we are just so grateful. From us to you xxxx...


6 comments:

  1. Barb, I have been meaning to text you all day to see how the weekend went and I thought you would both be exhausted. Glad it went well. I have garlic in ziplock bags in the freezer and just take it out when I need a few cloves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea, had not thought of that. Thanks Chel, I will do that as well.

      Delete
  2. That garlic looks really good. I'm glad you can still get out in the garden, and have short visits from hospital. I bet Pete loved the mental stimulation and comfort of familiar surroundings. Very happy you had the time together over the weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris, yes I think it made a real difference to him being home.

      Delete
  3. Hi Barb, so good to hear Pete is progressing well, time out of hospital is a solid step to the light at the end of the tunnel being something not vague and just out of reach.
    The garlic harvest looks good, if you are going to freeze some it might be a good idea to slice some of it for no thaw quick use, spread the slices in a single layer until frozen then bag up.
    Hope your farm has been getting some of the lovely rain the past few weeks and the dreadful heat is not doing too much damage.
    Catch up soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret yes it is so good to know that he will be home soon. Thanks for that tip on the garlic, it would be a shame to waste any.

      Delete